Revisional Bariatric Surgery in Mexico
Revisional bariatric surgery is a second gastrointestinal surgery with specific aims to correct or to change a previous bariatric surgery. For example, if a previous gastric bypass surgery fails to produce adequate weight loss, or if there are unpleasant complications, a revision can be performed to give the patient desirable results.
Alejandro Lopez, MD, and Jacqueline Osuna, MD, are experienced weight loss surgeons who are capable of revising a previous weight loss surgery, even a surgery performed by another bariatric physician.
Most bariatric surgeons in Canada and the United States won’t touch revision surgeries because of the inherent risk and the considerable experience required. In Mexico however, most surgeons have been practicing weight loss surgeries years before their U.S. and Canadian, allowing them to mend other bariatric surgeons work.
Types of Revisional Bariatric Surgery:
- Gastric Bypass Revision Surgery – If roux-en-y gastric bypass fails to produce desirable weight loss, or if patients lose too much weight, gastric band or revision to the gastric bypass is an option.
- Gastric Banding Revision Surgery – A very common revision surgery, gastric banding is the most straightforward revision surgery. This revision surgery is the removal of the band and the progression into another surgery type. Most candidates for gastric banding revision opt to go with gastric sleeve surgery. As more and more, surgeons see the limitations of gastric banding (lap-band), they prefer gastric sleeve.
- Gastric Sleeve Revision Surgery – If gastric sleeve surgery fails to produce adequate weight loss, many patients opt to go with the gastric bypass or duodenal switch – because of the superior weight loss that can be achieved.
- Gastric Sleeve Plication Revision – Gastric Plication is a reversible surgery, in fact, Weight Loss Surgery Experts is experienced undoing the sutures and can convert that to the permanent gastric sleeve surgery.
- Revisional surgery of failed Vertical-Banded Gastroplasty to Gastric Sleeve
Weight Loss Surgery Options in Mexico: